July 25, 2014

A few good men :)

The talented Jack Nicholson stole the show with this dramatic monologue from "A Few Good Men" -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk


Here 's a tribute to one of my all-time favorite movie monologues.

Developer: You want answers?

Product Manager: I think I'm entitled to them.

Developer: You want answers?

Product Manager: I want the truth!


Developer: You can't handle the truth! we live in a world that has software applications. And those applications have to be developed by men with coding skills. Who's gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for deadlines and you curse the developers. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that missing the deadlines, while tragic, probably improved code quality. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, improved code quality...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at scrum meetings, you want me on that sprint. You need me on that sprint.

We use words like SOLID,KISS,DRY...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent developing something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who presents and takes credit for the product that I develop, then questions the manner in which I develop it! I'd rather you just increased my salary and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a laptop and write code. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!!

Product Manager:  Did you break the code ?

Developer: (quietly) I wrote the code as per the design.

Product Manager: Did you break the code ?

Developer: You're goddamn right I did!!

No comments:

Post a Comment